Thursday, December 26, 2013

We Had Ourselves A Merry Little Christmas

December 26th. The most melancholy day of the year. Everything you have been doing for and celebrating for a little over a month is done. Life is basically back to normal. Such a depressing little day.

I was extra excited for Christmas this year. Having two girls to spoil was so much fun! And, this was the first year Abby was excited for presents and Santa. I still don't think she quite gets that Santa was the one to drop off the presents, but she did talk about him a lot and had fun opening her presents and helping Madalyn open hers as well.

We started our festivities on Chrsitmas Eve by going to breakfast with my parents. Whats better than starting off a day with strawberry crepes, sausage, and hashbrowns? Nothing, that's what. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of that, but it was so much fun and hopefully a yearly tradition, as long as Sam keeps having work off. That day was spent baking banana bread, watching Miracle on 34th Street, and napping. That night we visited with Sams dad, then got home and had our own traditional Christmas Eve dinner while watching Grinch, Elf, and Christmas Story.
We always open Christmas Eve jammies. This year, we got the girls some, but decided to skip us to save a little bit of money. This is the first year in my 27 years of life that I have not had new Christmas jammies. Sad right?  Also, we have a tradition that comes from South Africa where Santa leaves the gifts he brings in a pillowcase. Once Abby and Maddi finally went to sleep (after 11 mind you) I got busy and made Madalyn's pillowcase. I love how it turned out. After that, Santa was able to come and we were able to go to bed, at about 2. Late night, but so fun to spend together watching movies without our kids!

Christmas morning everyone slept in until 8:30. It was nice, but I was getting too anxious. We all got a pretty good haul. Sam spoiled me rotten. I was only supposed to get my Kitchen-aid, but he also got me Vans shoes, Death Cab for Cutie CD's and a waterbottle. I know, it sounds silly to get a waterbottle, but for some reason I LOVE new waterbottles. And this one is so nice. After we opened our presents, we sat around and enjoyed our new toys in the mess.
That afternoon, we visited Dan and Nonie again, dropped of medicine to a sick mother in law, and then spent the rest of the evening at my moms opening more presents and stuffing our faces. My girls got spoiled!! And I loved dressing them in the same outfits. Can't believe I haven't done it yet. I just love my little girls so much!! Holidays truly are better with little ones.
 That night, my girls had it and both crashed at my parents house. When we got home, they decided to wake up and we were up late again with them. But, it was a lot of fun. I somewhat didn't mind them awake. And an added bonus, they slept in until 8:30 again AND are both down for naps at the same time. Score!
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas as we did! I am sad Christmas is over, but I am looking forward to the New Year and what that brings. 

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! I love the pictures. I did horrible taking them this year! I also wish our skyping would work! I hate how it cuts out and we can't hear you guys, I just want to talk and see your faces at the same time. It looks like you had a good Christmas which makes me happy. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful christmas!! i just love looking at your cute girls- but that big ol mess just gives me hives. our trash was picked up asap haha happy christmas!

    ReplyDelete