Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Healthy Me: Where I'm at Currently.

So remember my 31 Day Challenge I blogged about the beginning of August? Well I've been working really hard since then to be good. But I still have 4 pounds of baby weight to lose, and then some. 4 measly pounds that are just enjoying hanging out on my body. No matter what I do to let them know they aren't welcome, they continue to stay. Plateaus suck right? It's sometimes just downright depressing. And with the Holiday's coming up? Oh boy. I'll need to be careful.

As depressing as my 4 stinking pounds are, I have noticed little things that remind me I am on the right track with the changes I've made with my diet and exercise. For example, I can sit on my feet. Not a huge deal, but that kinda hurt my legs before. Now when I'm kneeling down playing with Abby, I don't hurt. Also, I can pull my knees up under my chin a lot easier, and tying my shoes doesn't make me feel like I'm about to pass out. Sam says when he hugs me, he can feel a difference. Talk about a boost to my self esteem! Horizontal striped shirts no longer look terrible on me and most importantly, my pants are falling off me and that is a good feeling.


Though the scale says I haven't lost my baby weight, I still feel healthier than I was before I was even pregnant with Abby. Before I was pregnant, most days consisted of working 8 hours, usually eating crap at work and sometimes going to the gym afterwords, for perhaps a half hour. Not that that is bad necessarily(the gym part)  but I was eating more than I was burning. To toot my own horn, I now can do 45 min of killer boot camp without dying, I can do a Jillian Michaels DVD all the way through and full out, and I can run 3 miles. I know I'm not the next greatest athlete, but I feel so good about myself.

Here are some other things I am doing to keep myself healthy.


November 1st after my month of no sugar
  1. Drinking more water. I used to drink barley any water. My awesome sister challenged me to drink half my body weight and even though I don't quite make it most days, I am drinking more water still then I ever have and my body can tell.
  2. Working out more. Like I said above, although I've always loved working out, it was kinda low on the totem pole. Now I work out most days a week for at least a half hour, most days more. It helps that I change my workout up by going to different free classes that I can bring Abby to, running, and going on walks. Having a work out buddy helps big time too. That way, I am accountable. 
  3. MyFitnessPal. This app on my phone has helped me put my calorie intake into perspective. I now know that a #6 at Wendys is my calorie allotment for the day. I know that 2 bowls of cereal really adds up and that my good old friend Coke should really be drunk in moderation. It also helps me plan better. If I know we are going out to eat that night, I eat really simply during the day so I do have extra calories that night. 
  4. All things in moderation. To go along with the above, if I don't allow myself some sort of treat sometimes, I'll completely blow everything I worked for and eat my face off. For example, in college I went the whole month of October without sugar. The first of November looked like the picture above. Pretty pointless. So, I'll usually allow myself something small through out the week, like a fun size candy bar. And I have a free day once a week. (or I try to only let it be once a week) I typically save that day for Sunday. 
  5. Having a better attitude. When I have blown my calories for the day, I've been known to just give up. I think, "Why bother? I'm never going to lose weight if i eat like this. I suck, I suck, I suck." Or I'll look at my trouble spot in the mirror (my tummy) and just be so mad at myself for weighing more than I ever have. My sister, (whom i mention a lot when it comes to a healthier lifestyle seeing as she is my hero) pointed out to me that she changed her attitude, and that is why she has had success. When she blows her diet one day she thinks "Oh well. Tomorrow is another day." When she looks in the mirror she sees what she's lost vs. what she still has to go. I've been really working hard on this and I really have seen a change. I'm no longer focused on just losing weight, but being more healthy.

I still have a long road ahead of me, and I'm not perfect AT ALL but when I look at myself a year ago (granted, I did just have a baby) to now, I can see a change in my both physically and mentally. And it makes me feel good.

Now lets see if I can lose those 4 pounds.



6 comments:

  1. Awe, thanks! I definitely had to change my attitude to start being really successful. I need a reminder every now and then though and you did that for me today so thank you! I'm now determined to fit a workout in my very busy day today, so thank you! :) Keep it up, you're being great and I can tell you're losing. Isn't it a great feeling to have your clothes fall off? If only I had the $ to buy clothes that fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love this post! I love the little motivational picture you posted too, I love what it says. I love that this is just about being better and being healthy. And then looking hot is just a side benefit :) You do SO great. I swear you work out more than I do! And I do have to say that having the work out buddy is a great help to me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Caitlyn! I have the same issues so it nice to know you are not alone :) I just found a quote that says "your body hears everything your mind says so stay positive"
    Keep it up and maybe I will join you in the losing weight club one of these days ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. go kitty cait!! i love you and i think youre just gorgeous! and have got a rockin bod!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. add me on MyFitnessPal!!! amandathacky

    ReplyDelete