Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Blur of a Holiday.

This year, I felt like Christmas snuck up on me and then in a blurry whirlwind, it was over. Before I knew it, it was Christmas night and the typical Christmas night blues sunk it. I always feel so let down Christmas night. The whole month is full of celebration and excitement and just like that, it's over.

This year was no exception, except that I was so extremely busy that I felt like I barley even got into the Christmas spirit. Between working two jobs, being a mommy, cooking, cleaning, fixing up the house, and my calling, I didn't do a lot of the usual Christmassy stuff. I was included in the group of frantic people trying to fit in Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve. I even fought the horrible crowds of Walmart. (Seriously, 45 min to get two pictures printed out? Death.) I will NEVER go to Walmart Christmas Eve again.

Amongst all the craziness of the season though, Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day were wonderful. I was so excited to have Abby to celebrate with. And even though she has yet to know who Santa is, it was still just a magical feeling through my house. I made sure everything was perfect for her.

Christmas Eve was spent eating, watching Christmas movies, wrapping gifts, and making Abby a pillowcase. My Granny was from South Africa and they had a tradition that Santa would leave his gifts in a pillowcase and the rest of the presents would go under the tree. So I made Abby this pillowcase so Santa would know where to put his gifts. I'm pretty dang proud of it too. If you know me at all, you know I am basically horrible at anything crafty. We also kept the tradition of Christmas Eve to open our PJ's.

Christmas day was a fun blur. We started out going to church. It was such a good program and really brought the spirit of the Holiday. After church we opened up our gifts (Sam spoiled me rotten) and then we were able to talk to Sam's little brother for a while. After that, we went to my moms and had the our traditional ham Christmas dinner, which I was especially looking forward to this year seeing as last year, as with most things, I got sick off it. That night we played games with my family. (I'm not a big game person, but Headbandz is super fun and has my approval)

I think that Abby really enjoyed her first Christmas. She got to dress up in a pretty red dress and play with her cousin's and open gifts. She likes her toys too...but I think that plastic sacks are her preference. (Don't worry, I took it away from her after I snapped this picture. And she was pretty upset with me.)

Can't wait for next year!

1 comment:

  1. Finally! I've been waiting for posts about everyone's Christmas. It sounds like you had a good one, and I want to try this Headbandz game, I've never heard of it. I'll also never understand why babies love the dangerous toys...probably because they aren't allowed to have them. The lure of the forbidden I guess.

    ReplyDelete