Monday, April 28, 2014

Goodbye, MoTab

Yesterday, after 14 years of serving, my sweet mother said goodbye to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. My dad has his retirement 4 years ago, and as sad as I was to see him go, I wasn't this sad. My mom leaving means the end of my connection with the choir that I've had for 14 years. Because of my dad and moms willingness and passion to serve in this choir, I have had many, many wonderful experiences in the last 14 years associated with it. Stay tuned for later posts about some of my favorite choir memories.

It was a bittersweet day yesterday. We were able to attend the broadcast, and Sam and Ali were sweet enough to watch the broadcast in the visitors center with the kids so my brother and I could be in the Tabernacle. It was a beatiful broadcast. My mom said it was so hard to keep her composer when they started the first note of "Gently Raise The Sacred Strain," knowing it was her last time ever. After the broadcast, all family including kids, gathered in the Tabernacle for the retirements of my mom and 27 other members.

My mom getting recognized
Each memeber wrote about their time in the choir, were given a plaque, thanked for their service, and were able to get a picture with them and President Monson. Fun fact: President Monson grabbed my moms arm and started walking out with her. My mom didn't know what to do so she just followed him. President Monsons security guard stopped her from leaving with him. We think maybe he thought she was his daughter? Haha. Who knows. Pretty cool though.

After the program, we came back to my place for a yummy brunch. It was a really good day celebrating my moms time in the choir. She is somewhat relieved in a way I think. No more plannig family functions around the choir, General Conference will be spent in her PJs now, and Christmas time will be a lot less stressful for her. (although for the past 14 years the Christmas concert has been quite a tradition that I am going to miss terribly this year)
My sister, my mom, and me, with our choir badges on

I am so proud of both my parents for being in this wonderful choir. It has been amaizing to be able to share some of their experiences, and to see how singing truly is their passion. Thanks mom and dad, for your example to live your dreams. Love you both!!

2 comments:

  1. what an amazing experience for them and for you! and i just love prez monson! how cool for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special for your family. Being in the choir is so cool and I'm happy you were able to celebrate with your parents!

    ReplyDelete